Login to BlackFacts.com using your favorite Social Media Login. Click the appropriate button below and you will be redirected to your Social Media Website for confirmation and then back to Blackfacts.com once successful.
Enter the email address and password you used to join BlackFacts.com. If you cannot remember your login information, click the “Forgot Password” link to reset your password.
The issues that birthed The nationwide #EndSARS protest Iin Nigeria are still very much a daily occurrence in the country according to a legal practitioner
Announcement of the death of former President Rawlings pic.twitter.com/7ext0fp4sd
— Nana Akufo-Addo (@NAkufoAddo) November 12, 2020
Watch our report:
Governments spend huge sums of public funds to gather data on the economy and demographics that leaders can use to respond to societal problems/
CityDance Conservatory’s Corbin Holloway, age 13 from Rockville, will be featured on NBC’s \"Little Big Shots\" on Sunday, May 17 at 7 p.m.
The show, hosted by two-time Emmy Award-winning actress Melissa McCarthy, showcases the talents and stories of youth from around the world.
Corbin, who first began dance training at the prestigious Rockville-based CityDance School & Conservatory at seven years old, continues to astound both his instructors and industry professionals for his talent, abilities and achievements which far exceed many within his age group.
Look for our upcoming feature that will include how Corbin did on “Little Big Shots,” how he has continued to train given recent closures of businesses and schools due to the coronavirus pandemic and reflections from Lorraine Spiegler, founding artistic director of the CityDance School & Conservatory and one of Corbin’s teachers and mentors.
Spiegler accompanied Corbin to the filming of “Little Big Shots” in Los Angeles in January.
2020: A year for the record books!
The post 2020: A year for the record books! appeared first on WS Chronicle.
Sign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York City
Ahead of the 155th anniversary of Juneteenth, the holiday marking the abolition of slavery in the United States, Lauren Young and Arlene Washington of Reuters spoke with Keisha N. Blain, an associate professor of history at the University of Pittsburgh and president of the African American Intellectual History Society, as part of our #AskReuters Twitter chat series.
Arlene Washington: Can you talk about the Black women activists who paved the way for this moment in time?
KB: I think Black women have always been at the forefront of social and political movements in the U.S. and across the globe.
KB: Juneteenth represents the day (June 19, 1865) that enslaved Black people in Galveston, Texas, were told they were free.
KB: It’s encouraging to see so many people – of all races and backgrounds – standing in support with Black people at this moment.
[Leadership] Contrary to reports in the media that the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU), Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma Edo State chapter has concluded plans to institute legal action challenging the new law that has ceded the entire running of the university to the visitor who is the governor of the state, the leadership of the union has said that it was studying the situation and would make its position known in due course.
The Trinidad Guardian newspaper’s editorial of 17th January this year, titled `Carnival opportunities lost’ highlighted the fact that the National Carnival Committee (NCC) had failed to grasp the opportunity to create alternative events in virtual space following the announcement by Prime Minister Keith Rowley in late September last year of the cancellation of the Caribbean’s standard bearer for the festival.
The article Future considerations appeared first on Stabroek News.
Next is a civil lawsuit against Officer Rusten Sheskey.
But a violent military coup ousted President Kabbahs civilian government in May 1997. The leader of the coup, Lieut. Col. Johnny Paul Koroma, assumed the title Head of the Armed Forces Revolutionary Council (AFRC). Koroma began a reign of terror, destroying the economy and murdering enemies. The Commonwealth of Nations demanded the reinstatement of Kabbah, and ECOMOG, the Nigerian-led peacekeeping force, intervened. On March 10, 1998, after ten months in exile, Kabbah resumed his rule over Sierra Leone. The ousted junta and other rebel forces continued to wage attacks, many of which included the torture, rape, and brutal maimings of thousands of civilians, including countless children; amputation by machete was the horrific signature of the rebels. In addition to political power, the rebels, who were supported by Liberias president Charles Taylor, sought control of Sierra Leones rich diamond fields.
In Jan. 1999, rebels and Liberian mercenaries stormed the capital, demanding the release of the imprisoned Revolutionary United Front (RUF) leader, Foday Sankoh. ECOMOG regained control of Freetown, but President Kabbah later released Sankoh so he could participate in peace negotiations. Pressured by Nigeria and the U.S., among other countries, Kabbah agreed to an untenable power-sharing agreement in July 1999, which made Sankoh vice president of the country—and in charge of the diamond mines. The accord dissolved in May 2000 after the RUF abducted about 500 UN peacekeepers and attacked Freetown. Sankoh was captured and died in government custody in 2003, while awaiting trial for war crimes.
The conflict was officially declared over in Jan. 2002. An estimated 50,000 people were killed in the decade-long civil war. The UN installed its largest peacekeeping force in the country (17,000 troops). President Kabbah was reelected with 70% of the vote in May 2002. In 2004, the disarmament of 70,000 soldiers was completed, and a UN-sponsored war crimes tribunal opened. For the past several years, the UN has listed Sierra
\"Do we think our little white asses are the only ones that matter? No!\" the singer, songwriter, philanthropist and businesswoman told the music magazine.
THERE were countdowns and live performances but New Year's Eve celebrations across the globe looked radically different this year as large crowds stayed away from traditional party spots like New York City's Times Square and the Champs Elysees in Paris.The coronavirus that changed so much in 2020 led to cancellations of most fireworks displays and public events in favour of made-for-TV-only moments in cities around the world.
The New York Mets under new owner Steven Cohen are embracing 'Bobby Bonilla Day,' an annual remembrance of a famously unsuccessful contract. A promotion announced Thursday allows a fan to…
The post New York Mets, new owner Steven Cohen embrace 'Bobby Bonilla Day' with promotion appeared first on The Black Chronicle.
Assemblymember Evan Low (D-Silicon Valley)
The business of telehealth in the dentistry field in California could be transformed if a bill passes that prevents patients from dealing directly with companies without first seeing a dentist.
In a letter addressed to Cal Matters published on March 27, the California State NAACP President Alice Huffman asked the legislature to reject any bill that would create a barrier to affordable dental care.
African Americans and other people of color have the right to affordable, quality health care treatment,” Huffman stated.
Huffman also shared that SmileDirectClub, for example, pioneered a teledentistry platform for clear aligner therapy treatment that has helped more than 100,000 Californians, including African Americans.
In the current throes of the coronavirus pandemic, Huffman stresses that these services are critical for Californians in need of health care or dental care.
Passengers cross the Rafah border crossing travelling from the Gaza Strip into Egypt, after it opened following an Egyptian announcement to let through incoming traffic until further notice.
by Brittany Holst - I graduated as valedictorian of Middle College High School, Class of 2010. It was one of the biggest milestones in my life. Loved ones gathered at the Orpheum Theatre to watch my fellow classmates and I walk across the stage to receive our diplomas. Fast forward to 2020. Graduations are much []
BY JE’DON HOLLOWAY-TALLEY Special to the Birmingham Times “You Had Me at Hello’’ highlights married couples and the love that binds them. If you would like to be considered for a future “Hello’’ column, or know someone, please send nominations to Barnett Wright bwright@birminghamtimes.com. Include the couple’s name, contact number(s) and what makes their love […]
Analysis - A separatist crisis that began five years ago in Anglophone Cameroon has spiraled into unmitigated violence. The UN says a humanitarian catastrophe is on the horizon -- but the key players aren't willing to compromise.
[Premium Times] Mr Aruwan said the troops arrived in the village to find that the gunmen had killed two residents.
ACTING Registrar-General (RG) Henry Machiri has said there is no urgency for issuance of identity cards to Zimbabwe School Examinations Council (Zimsec) candidates at public schools since they were not a pre-requisite on registration.
The United States in 2021 finds itself at crossroads of racial reckoning. One path leads backward, toward the \"old normal:\" a return to the marginalization, discrimination, and segregation that left Black and brown Americans exceptionally vulnerable to a deadly virus and economic desperation.
The post MORIAL: State of Black America 2021 — A Path Forward as Nation Emerges From 'Three Pandemics' appeared first on The Washington Informer.
BY FORTUNE MBELE THE Confederation of African Football (Caf) has temporarily okayed the National Sports Stadium (NSS) to host senior men’s matches, but ordered that outstanding issues be dealt with as a matter of urgency. Caf wrote to Zifa on Wednesday advising of the new developments, but maintained the ban on Barbourfields Stadium. The continental soccer-governing body, however warned that failure to implement other demands such as the installation of bucket seats, which remain outstanding, will see the temporary approval being removed. The Warriors will host Algeria in an Africa Cup of Nations qualifier at the National Sports Stadium next month, four days after playing the African champions on their own turf but the government has to hasten to address the bucket seats and turnstiles issues that remain outstanding for the country to continue hosting Caf senior men matches. In the correspondence addressed to Zifa chief executive officer Joseph Mamutse, Caf said: “We are satisfied to see the progress made in the National Sports Stadium in order to bring the venue to the required standard. Therefore Caf has decided to remove the ban and grant a temporary approval for NSS subject to the continuation of the implementation of the remarks made in the previous inspection visits.” The same could, however, not be said for BF, which is still lagging behind in a number of issues including bucket seats, turnstiles, changing rooms and lighting. “In relation to the previous Caf correspondence requesting a pre-inspection report for the National Sports Stadium and Barbourfields Stadium, we confirm receipt of the reports and photos evidence of the concerned stadiums,” reads the letter from Caf. “With relation to Barbourfields Stadium, based on information received, the decision is to uphold the ban for use in Caf men’s senior matches.” Caf said work on the NSS as well as the procurement of necessary equipment should not stop. “Kindly note that the failure to implement the recommendations fully over the next period of time may compel Caf to remove the temporary approval of the stadium. We encourage that you continue to with the improvement works that are in place in order to complete the renovation programme and procurement of necessary equipment in both stadiums. Zifa yesterday also confirmed NSS had been conditionally approved by Caf. “In granting the temporary approval, Caf indicated that they are charmed by Zimbabwe’s efforts, but the continental football authority underscored that renovations must continue until the stadium is quickly brought to required standard,” Zifa spokesperson Xolisani Gwesela said. A few months ago, Sports and Recreation Commission director-general Prince Mupazviriho said the NSS was ready to host international matches, acknowledging the grey areas. Mupazviriho said: 'The reason for those aspects (bucket seats, e-ticketing and turnstiles) to be outstanding is that most of the companies who manufacture (the equipment) are closed and we have to import,' Mupazviriho said. He said the authorisation had been g
By Candice Choi Associated Press NEW YORK (AP) — In the early days of the pandemic, doctors noticed something about the people severely ill from COVID-19: Many were obese. The link became more apparent as coronavirus swept across the globe and data mounted, and researchers are still trying to figure out why. Excess weight increases the chances of developing a number of health problems, including heart disease and diabetes. And those are among the conditions that can make COVID-19 patients more likely to get very sick. But there's some evidence that obesity itself can increase the likelihood of serious complications […]
The post Doctors studying why obesity may be tied to serious COVID-19 appeared first on Black News Channel.
A few days after my call with Rep. Reynolds, I received a call on my cell phone from U.S. Congresswoman Sheila Jackson Lee on Wednesday, March 25th.
As I was driving to the hospital, Congresswoman Jackson Lee told me that she had already spoken to the Chief Medical Officer for United Memorial Medical Center (UMMC), Dr. Joseph Varon, and that he was prepared to receive me and administer the test.
One of the first things Dr. Varon ordered his medical staff to do with me upon my arrival to the ER was to do a CT Scan.
Not only did I have a severe case of pneumonia when I entered ICU, my liver and kidneys also needed to be protected from the virus; my heart rate was through the roof; my heart condition worsened and I was headed to the point of potential heart failure; my blood pressure was high; I had a sharp pain in my right side; I continued to have heavy diarrhea episodes; and I still had a loss of appetite.
From the very beginning, I had to rely on my faith in God, as I continued to deal with the mental anguish of being in this Coronavirus-specific ICU area, particularly knowing that there were people around with breathing issues and hearing machines go off all day and night, and as I regularly looked at the news and read reports showing the number of people dying on a daily basis as a result of
[New Times] The inaugural Rwandan Epic mountain bike race, first of its kind in the country, will be held in Musanze District from November 21 to 23.
Last week the University of Connecticut decided it would forego putting their players out on this field due to COVID-19 concerns. That action has caused other organizations to rethink 2020. As spotted on ESPN the upcoming collegiate football season might not see the light of day due to growing concerns regarding the pandemic. According to the […]
People fleeing volcano in Congo May 24, 2021 (GIN) - An erupting mountain of fiery red flames from one of the world’s most active and dangerous volcanoes shook residents of the city of Goma, Democratic Republic of Congo, sparking a panicked exodus by thousands to neighboring Rwanda. A din of people and honking horns […]
City Councilmember Lisa Wheeler-Bowman taught her grandchildren, Mikiyah Stone, 9, and Mikah Stone, 10, the importance of voting at the Roll to the Polls event Saturday, Oct. 10. Deirdre O’Leary, Staff Writer ST. PETERSBURG - Talk Black and the Tampa Bay Rays have partnered with the Dr. Carter G. Woodson African American Museum in 'Voting is […]