Login to BlackFacts.com using your favorite Social Media Login. Click the appropriate button below and you will be redirected to your Social Media Website for confirmation and then back to Blackfacts.com once successful.
Enter the email address and password you used to join BlackFacts.com. If you cannot remember your login information, click the “Forgot Password” link to reset your password.
'It was surprising, it was heartbreaking because their trip here had urgency because people are dying,' a pro-democracy parliamentarian has said.
In May, Burundi held a presidential election which was won by Evariste Ndayishimiye, candidate of the ruling National Council for the Defense of Democracy - Forces for the Defense of Democracy (CNDD-FDD) party.
Ndayishimiye was hurriedly sworn in after the untimely death of president Pierre Nkurunziza in June.
Rights violations continue
The Council encouraged donor countries which had suspended aid to Burundi to continue dialogue towards resumption of development assistance.
A report by a UN watchdog in September said human rights violations were still being committed in Burundi, including sexual violence and murder.
The country was plunged into a crisis in April 2015 when Ndayishimiye’s predecessor Pierre Nkurunziza decided to run for a controversial third term, which he ultimately won in July 2015.
His candidature, which was opposed by the opposition and civil society groups, resulted in a wave of protests, violence and even a failed coup in May 2015.
Hundreds of people were killed and over 300,000 fled to neighboring countries.
By Jethro Makumbe The blitzkrieg of militarised insurgencies, social cleavages and general deficiency of good governance in relation to authoritarian rule and
The post Armed conflicts in Sadc: A grotesque insignia of political misgovernance appeared first on NewsDay Zimbabwe.
By NICK PERRY Associated Press WELLINGTON, New Zealand (AP) — There were no clear signs that an attack last year on two New Zealand mosques was imminent, but police should have done a better job vetting the lone gunman when he applied for a gun license, and intelligence agencies should have focused more on threats such as white supremacism, according to a new report. Among 44 recommendations, the report released Tuesday says the government should establish a new national intelligence agency. The report details how the attacker, white supremacist Brenton Tarrant, was able to live a solitary, almost ghostlike existence […]
The post Report finds lapses ahead of New Zealand mosque attack appeared first on Black News Channel.
The opposition coalition which led mass protests in Mali ahead of last month's coup has rejected a transition charter to establish an 18-month interim government until an election could take place.
It followed three days of talks with opposition and civil society groups.
The M5-RFP group said the document was an attempt by military leaders to \"grab and confiscate power\"
\"It concerns in particular the profile of the president of the transition who must be a civilian and non-military personality, since this would subject us to the sanctions of the international community, hence ECOWAS, and the terms and conditions for the appointment of this president. And we have heard that it would be by a panel whereas this aspect was never debated in the plenary.\" Ibrahim Ikassa Maïga, one of the leaders of the June 5 Movement explained.
A meeting is planned on Tuesday in Accra between ECOWAS and Mali.
Regional powers worried that political instability will undermine a years-long fight against armed groups across West Africa, have pushed for a swift transition back to civilian rule.
ECOWAS has warned the military government must designate a civilian leader to head a one-year transition period by September 15 or else the country could face further sanctions.
There's big money on the line tonight! R14 million is on the line. Here are your Powerball and Powerball Plus results for Tuesday, 8 December 2020.
A bloc of southern African nations on Wednesday approved the deployment of troops to Mozambique.
By NQOBANI NDLOVU OPPOSITION parties have snubbed the invitation extended to them by government to attend the State-organised anti-sanctions musical e-gala scheduled for Bulawayo this Saturday, describing the event as a waste of resources. The e-gala is part of several events lined up to commemorate the Anti-Sanctions Day scheduled for October 25, which has since been declared a public holiday. This year’s commemorations will be held under the theme: 'Resilience, Progress and Solidarity under an Environment of Sanctions.” Southern African Development Community (Sadc) member countries last year pledged to commemorate the event each year in solidarity with Zimbabwe as part of efforts to pressure the United States government to drop its targeted sanctions against Harare. The sanctions were imposed at the turn of the century in response to then President Robert Mugabe’s land reform programme and gross human rights abuses. The US government has, however, maintained some of the restrictive measures to force the Zanu PF administration to introduce a wide range of reforms. Local opposition parties have, however, refused to be part of the commemorations, blaming the Zanu PF government of inviting the restrictions by disrespecting citizens’ rights. Opposition parties and traditional leaders in Matabeleland region have refused to denounce the sanctions, saying the restrictions should only be lifted after government has implemented reforms demanded by the international community. “We do not have time for nonsense. The biggest sanctions are Zanu PF’s abuse of State apparatus for personal political gain. That alone is a sanction on the people of Zimbabwe,” MDC Alliance provincial spokesperson Swithern Chirowodza said. “Corruption that knows no bounds within government, extra-judicial murders, abductions and torture of people who hold different views is another sanction on the people of Zimbabwe.” Zapu Bulawayo provincial spokesperson Patrick Ndlovu said the gala was a waste of resources. “If they are there (sanctions), they do not need a gala. Sanctions need reforms, good corporate governance and the like. As Zapu, we feel this is a waste of resources which could have been channelled elsewhere,” Ndlovu said. MDC-T acting spokesperson Khaliphani Phugeni said the party had not made a decision yet about its participation. Information permanent secretary Ndavaningi Mangwana on Monday invited all parties to attend the event. “We have joined hands with other progressive stakeholders such as business, political parties and civil society to hold this year’s anti-sanctions e-gala. We extend an invitation to the MDC-T, MDC Alliance and others to come and give a shout against sanctions,” Mangwana tweeted. In September 2019, Foreign Affairs minister Sibusiso Moyo said Zimbabwe had lost over US$42 billion in potential revenue over the past 18 years due to the sanctions, US$4,5 billion in bilateral donor support, US$12 billion in loans from the International Monetary Fund, the World Bank and African Development Bank and a further US$18 billion
[ANGOP] Luanda -- Angola continues its efforts to contribute to the consolidation of peace, security and democracy in the Southern African Development Community (SADC) member states, the Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs, Esmeralda Mendonça said Wednesday in Luanda.
[Citizen] Arusha -- The Bank of Tanzania (BoT) has issued an approval for CRDB Bank Plc to extend its footprints to the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), it was announced here during the weekend.
GOVERNMENT’S efforts to offer online and radio lessons to schoolchildren stranded at home due to the COVID-19 lockdown, which forced schools to remain closed, has been challenged by non-governmental organisations. BY BLESSED MHLANGA The lobby groups say the online and radio project was too elitist and discriminated against others who come from poor backgrounds or areas with no internet connectivity. Every Child in School-ECIS campaign led by Tag a Life International (TaLI) and supported by Zimbabwe National Council for the Welfare of Children (ZNCWC), Education Coalition of Zimbabwe (Ecozi), Women’s Coalition of Zimbabwe (WCoZ) have since petitioned Parliament to ensure that the intervention by the Primary and Secondary Education ministry does not discriminate other children from poor backgrounds and remote areas. “There is now an attempt by the Ministry of Education to ensure that children’s learning is undisrupted and continues, this move is commendable, but as Every Child in School-ECIS campaign, led by Tag a Life International (TaLI) and supported by ZNCWC, Ecozi, WCoZ and children and civil society groups in Zimbabwe, we have noted some gaps which need urgent attention,” TaLI said in a statement soon after delivering a petition to Parliament.. TaLI said provision of lessons through radio and TV would exclude communities in Zimbabwe where there is no radio signal, those who cannot afford to purchase radio and TV sets, thereby falling far short of the constitutional provisions on non-discrimination. “Lessons for children, through radio while noble, leave out more than 80%,” TaLI said. “Of the population of learners, some cannot afford the radio sets, some do not even have the radio signal and others are struggling owing to power shortages. “Areas like Gwanda, Beitbridge, Kwekwe and parts of Manicaland do not receive ZBC radio signal, which means close to 40% of our communities who have no access to radio signal will be left out. “The radio classrooms also leave out another population, namely those in our society who cannot hear and those who need special attention, the disability groups.” This came at a time government had insisted that examination schedules would proceed uninterrupted, while the plan to reopen schools remains a puzzle not only for parents, but teachers and school heads as well. TaLI called on Parliament to excise its oversight role. “Education must be available to all, not one child must be left behind, it is with this in mind that we have approached, the Parliament of Zimbabwe with a petition to ensure government is forced to provide solutions that provide education to everyone,” TaLI said.
The post Online, radio lessons challenged appeared first on NewsDay Zimbabwe.
POLITICAL Ombudsman Donna Parchment Brown is calling on Parliament to give teeth to the functions of her office to enable it to apply penalties and sanctions for breaches of the code of political conduct, and to create certain offences in law.
ISIS has warned South Africa that it would open the fighting front within South Africa’s borders, should it get involved in Mozambique's Cabo Delgado province.
Africa can mount a stronger COVID-19 response strategy by using regional trade blocs to coordinate, consolidate, and connect resources across the continent.
Furthermore, on a continent where it is estimated more than one-third of economic activity is informal, restrictive public health response measures such as extended lockdowns could result in enormous damage to livelihoods in many countries, with wider health implications than COVID-19.
The African Union has an opportunity to integrate its economic pillars into the Africa-wide response strategy by using Regional Economic Communities (RECs), the sub-regional blocs of African countries that have existed for decades.
The most established RECs include the Arab Magreb Union (UMA), the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS), the Southern African Development Community (SADC), the Eastern African Community (EAC), the Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa (COMESA), and the Economic Community of Central African States (ECCAS).
Given that the COVID-19 trajectory in Africa is likely still at the beginning, the time is now for governments to use the existing REC structure for sub-regional economic coordination to strengthen the continent's pandemic response strategy.
History will be made this Tuesday, September 7, when the inaugural CARICOM-Africa Summit takes place. Kenya will host the virtual event under the theme ‘Unity Across Continents and Oceans: Opportunities for Deepening Integration’. President of...
Dar es Salaam — President John Magufuli said on Sunday that Tanzania's handling of Covid-19 was in such a way that the country's economy comes first and above everything else.
Speaking during a Sunday Service at the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Tanzania at his Chato hometown on Sunday, May 17, 2020, President Magufuli said being an independent nation, Tanzania will not allow to be ruled by Covid-19.
\"We share borders with about eight countries and if we close our borders, we will be destroying their economies,\" said President Magufuli, noting that some countries depend on Tanzania for their daily food.
He urged Tanzanians to desist any attempt to segregate against people from countries that went into lockdown, saying Tanzania was keeping cordial relations with peers within the East Africa Community (EAC) and Southern African Development Community (Sadc).
He said so far Tanzania's economy was on the right path and that the country was removing the requirement for quarantine on tourists in a deliberate move to boost tourism.
During a meeting of NatJOINTS and the government Task Team, SAPS were briefed on how to police the ongoing truck driver protest.
[Daily News] President John Magufuli has said that his government will continue laying great emphasis on economic diplomacy as it implements its foreign policy.
Former Prime Minister P.J. Patterson has come out strongly against the call for a merger of the Emancipation Day and Independence Day holidays, labelling such a move as a retrograde step for the country.\tPatterson charges that this would be a...