Login to BlackFacts.com using your favorite Social Media Login. Click the appropriate button below and you will be redirected to your Social Media Website for confirmation and then back to Blackfacts.com once successful.
Enter the email address and password you used to join BlackFacts.com. If you cannot remember your login information, click the “Forgot Password” link to reset your password.
The ANC manifesto attributes some of the challenges faced by the country to the COVID-19 pandemic, the electricity crisis, global political conflicts, the July 2021 unrest and climate change
He replaces Debretsion Gebremichael, whose immunity from prosecution was removed Thursday.
Meanwhile, Amnesty International said Thursday that scores of civilians were killed in a \"massacre\" in the Tigray region, that witnesses blamed on forces backing the local ruling party.
The \"massacre\" is the first reported incident of large-scale civilian fatalities in a week-old conflict between the regional ruling party, the Tigray People's Liberation Front (TPLF), and the government of Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed, winner of last year's Nobel Peace Prize.
\"Amnesty International can today confirm... that scores, and likely hundreds, of people were stabbed or hacked to death in Mai-Kadra (May Cadera) town in the southwest of Ethiopia's Tigray Region on the night of 9 November,\" the rights group said in a report.
Amnesty said it had \"digitally verified gruesome photographs and videos of bodies strewn across the town or being carried away on stretchers.\"
The dead \"had gaping wounds that appear to have been inflicted by sharp weapons such as knives and machetes,\" Amnesty said, citing witness accounts.
Witnesses said the attack was carried out by TPLF-aligned forces after a defeat at the hands of the Ethiopian military, though Amnesty said it \"has not been able to confirm who was responsible for the killings\".
It nonetheless called on TPLF commanders and officials to \"make clear to their forces and their supporters that deliberate attacks on civilians are absolutely prohibited and constitute war crimes\".
Abiy ordered military operations in Tigray on November 4, saying they were prompted by a TPLF attack on federal military camps -- a claim the party denies.
The region has been under a communications blackout ever since, making it difficult to verify competing claims on the ground.
Abiy said Thursday his army had made major gains in western Tigray.
Thousands of Ethiopians have fled across the border into neighboring Sudan, and the UN is sounding the alarm about a humanitarian crisis in Tigray.
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle plan to spend their first Christmas in their new Montecito home, then return to Frogmore Cottage in January.
We bring you the latest news in South Africa, so be sure to check out what’s making headlines on Friday 13 November.
JOE BIDEN WINS 2020 PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION — A COURIER SPECIAL REPORT by Rob Taylor Courier Staff Writer When they said “every vote counts,” nowhere was that more accurate than right here in Pennsylvania. Specifically, Allegheny County, where the African American vote was instrumental in putting Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden over the top, and sending … Continued
The post Black Pittsburgh plays critical role in 2020 Presidential Election appeared first on New Pittsburgh Courier.
[SAnews.gov.za] Chairperson of the African Union (AU), President Cyril Ramaphosa, has been made aware of the growing tension between the Western Sahara and Morocco, arising from a dispute on the buffer zone.
Brittany Pickens shares why she started The Juice Girl, how she is differentiating herself, and advice for women starting a business during the pandemic.
A study found that at least 350 transgender people were killed in 2020.
Temperature and COVID-19 symptom checks like the ones used at schools and doctor's offices have again proved inadequate for spotting coronavirus infections and preventing outbreaks. A study of Marine recruits found that despite these measures and strict quarantines before they started training, the recruits spread […]
The post Study: Temperature checks, symptom screenings not very effective in detecting COVID-19 infections appeared first on The New York Beacon.
BY FREEMAN MAKOPA Zimbabwe’s netball team captain Felisitus Kwanga has broken boundaries after being signed by an English netball team, Surrey Storm which is based at the University of Surrey, United Kingdom. Commenting on the club’s website Director of Netball Head Coach/Player of Surrey Storm Mikki Austin expressed satisfaction over the signing of Kwanga who is expected to add up to their defensive end. “New to Surrey Storm for this season, we are so excited to have an athlete of Felisitus’ calibre joining our defensive end. “As an athlete who has stood out head and shoulders for her ability to win the ball for Zimbabwe at Netball World Cup 2019, we cannot wait to see her compete again in duck egg blue,” she said. The 25-year-old goal defender was brilliant during the recent 2019 Vitality Netball World Cup in Liverpool staged in July, scooping Most Valuable Player award against Northern Ireland and Barbados. Her brilliance grabbed the attention of international clubs.. Kwanga led the competition in deflections and was sixth for intercepts as Zimbabwe were named team of the tournament and will now make the move to the Superleague, where she will join Mikki Austin’s impressive side for the new season. She will link up with Aussie Leah Middleton and Northern Ireland international Niamh Cooper in the Storm defence. Kwanga became part of the senior netball team in 2014 and a year later she was named the vice-captain and proceeded to shine at the 2017 Tri-Nations Tournament and at the 2019 Telkom Tournament in SA held in May where she was named the Most Valuable Player (MVP) a feat that, with so much ease. Kwanga is Surrey Storm’s final signing of the signing window.
Production on “Real Housewives of Atlanta” had to shut down recently after one of its crew members tested positive for the coronavirus. According to a JasmineBRAND exclusive, this particular crew member was around the majority of the RHOA cast. A source alleges, “Everything is shut down right now. They’re pausing everything until everyone can be tested and quarantined.” […]
In summary Gov. Newsom should recognize the importance of the Latino community and appoint the first Latino or Latina senator from California. By Claudia Medina, Special to CalMatters Claudia Medina is the founding member of the Latino Community Foundation’s East Bay Latina Giving Circle, claudia.medina4education@gmail.com. Come January, California’s own Kamala Harris will make history as […]
The post It’s time for the first Latino senator from California appeared first on Black Voice News.
Is it safe yet to fly during the pandemic? Public health experts say staying home is best to keep yourself and others safe from infection. But if you're thinking about flying for the holidays, you should know what to expect. Flights are getting more crowded and more airlines plan to stop blocking seats to accommodate […]
WASHINGTON (AP) — The number of people seeking U.S. unemployment benefits fell last week to 709,000, a still-high level but the lowest figure since March and a further sign that the job market might be slowly healing. Yet the improvement will be put at risk by the sharp resurgence in confirmed viral infections to an […]
THE Zimbabwe Electricity Transmission and Distribution Company (ZETDC) is facing viability challenges, including acute transport problems to carry out its mandate. BY REX MPHISA ZETDC acting managing director Lovemore Chinaka said the problems were affecting the daily running of the country's power utility currently heavily reliant on hired vehicles at most of its stations. In a interview yesterday, Chinaka said some projects had been put on hold because of shortage of materials, but was optimistic his organisation would be on the rebound because it was mobilising resources. Chinaka could, however, not say off-hand the amount ZETDC needed to meet its power supply obligations. “We have serious challenges in transport that have affected our operations. We also need raw materials to carry out our work. I cannot say off-hand how much we need. We are mobilising resources required to meet demand,” he said. “Electrification of sections of Beitbridge is among our three major projects on plans. We have the transformers, but are still here in Harare. We should be moving to the ground, but we still need material for that project,” he said. The power utility has been struggling to supply the country with power, forcing people to destroy forests for firewood. ZETDC has in the recent past increased its tariffs attracting public outcry, but it maintains its charges were the lowest in the region. In September this year, Chinaka said the existing rate was approximately US0,02 per kilowatt hour instead of US0,10 cents per kWh at which the power utility can break even. Mobility in the exchange rates resulted in recurrent increases in imported electricity prices threatening Zesa’s viability. ZETDC blamed vandalism for its failure to power 100 000 households in the past five years. In 2017, ZETDC recorded 736 cases of theft and vandalism which in 2018 climbed to 766 and jumped to 1 178 last year. This year in July 498 cases had already been recorded.
Longtime California Congresswoman Maxine Waters successfully defended her seat in a contentious race against Republican challenger Joe Collins. After her... View Article
The post Maxine Waters: Biden win 'dawn of a new progressive America' appeared first on TheGrio.
More than 130 Secret Service officers, which is about 10% of all Secret Service officers, are said to have either... View Article
The post Over 130 Secret Service officers may be infected with coronavirus appeared first on TheGrio.
If anyone had any doubt that Black votes matter, this week’s presidential election put those doubts to rest Massive voter turnout in cities with large Black populations was key to a shift in four states that determined the outcome of the election. Voters in Philadelphia and Atlanta appear to have turned out in even greater […]
The post Black livelihoods were at stake appeared first on Florida Courier.
A top official linked to the Olympic Games suggested on Thursday that a cheering ban could be put in place in Tokyo to limit the spread of COVID-19.
Black policy leaders will play a pivotal role in President-elect Joe Biden’s transition, marking one of the most diverse agency... View Article
The post Key role for Black policy leaders on Biden's transition team appeared first on TheGrio.
The NFL was not expected to be immune from the ratings declines that have hit all sports this year due to the coronavirus pandemic and presidential election. But the declines are not as bad as feared at the beginning of the season. Games are averaging 15.1 million television and digital viewers, according to the league and Nielsen, a 6% decline […]
By BRIAN MELLEY and AMY TAXIN Associated Press LOS ANGELES (AP) — A month ago, Antonio Gomez III was a healthy 46-year-old struggling like so many others to balance work and parenting during the coronavirus pandemic. This week, he's struggling to breathe after a three-week bout with the virus. Gomez said he let down his guard to see his parents and contracted one of the nearly 1 million confirmed cases of COVID-19 in California. For months, the virus has hammered the economy, disproportionately affected the poor and upended daily life — and now the state and the rest of the […]
The post Unwelcome milestone: California nears million COVID-19 cases appeared first on Black News Channel.
As confirmed coronavirus cases continue to rise throughout Maryland and the D.C. region, Prince George's County Executive Angela Alsobrooks announced an executive order Thursday her jurisdiction will reinstitute certain restrictions.
Watch BET UK on Sky 173, Virgin 184 Freesat 140
A MVURWI man (30) has been slapped with a 15-year jail term by a Bindura magistrate for sodomising a 13-year-old boy. By SIMBARASHE SITHOLE Ignatius Chagwedera of Hariana Farm in Mvurwi will, however, spend 12 years in jail after magistrate Amos Mubobo suspended two years on condition of good behaviour. Prosecutor Ngoni Kaseke told the court that sometime this year, the convict broke into the complainant’s bedroom and sodomised him twice on separate occasions. The matter came to light when Chagwedera was spotted by a neighbour coming out of the boy’s room. The neighbour told the boy’s aunt who asked the complainant and he confirmed the sodomy. A police report was filed, leading to the arrest of Chagwedera. The boy was examined and a medical affidavit was produced in court. Follow Simbarashe on Twitter @Simbara08212619
Kat Stafford, Aaron Morrison and Angeliki Kastanis | Associated Press Power. Respect. Finally. When Eric Sheffield first saw Joe Biden take the lead in the vote count in Georgia, the 52-year-old Black man immediately thought about all the years he spent urging his Black friends and family to vote and all the times he saw […]
The post 'This is Proof': Biden's Win Reveals Power of Black Voters appeared first on Black Voice News.
By ZEN SOO Associated Press HONG KONG (AP) — Pro-democracy legislators in Hong Kong began resigning Thursday to protest the expulsion of four other lawmakers, heightening a conflict with Beijing over the semi-autonomous Chinese territory's future. Pro-democracy activists say China's ruling Communist Party, which has tightened control in Hong Kong in response to demands for more democracy, is destroying the civil liberties and rights that were promised the territory when Britain returned it to China in 1997. The 15 remaining lawmakers in the pro-democracy bloc said Wednesday they will resign en masse after China's central government passed a resolution this […]
The post Hong Kong pro-democracy legislators hand in resignations appeared first on Black News Channel.
Virginia reported more than 1,500 new coronavirus cases again Thursday, continuing a recent surge in cases after months of relative steadiness.