Login to BlackFacts.com using your favorite Social Media Login. Click the appropriate button below and you will be redirected to your Social Media Website for confirmation and then back to Blackfacts.com once successful.
Enter the email address and password you used to join BlackFacts.com. If you cannot remember your login information, click the “Forgot Password” link to reset your password.
According to a statement from the ruling sovereign council, the general was met on Sunday (Aug. 27) by his deputy Malik Agar and other government officials who have relocated operations to Port Sudan.
He replaces Debretsion Gebremichael, whose immunity from prosecution was removed Thursday.
Meanwhile, Amnesty International said Thursday that scores of civilians were killed in a \"massacre\" in the Tigray region, that witnesses blamed on forces backing the local ruling party.
The \"massacre\" is the first reported incident of large-scale civilian fatalities in a week-old conflict between the regional ruling party, the Tigray People's Liberation Front (TPLF), and the government of Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed, winner of last year's Nobel Peace Prize.
\"Amnesty International can today confirm... that scores, and likely hundreds, of people were stabbed or hacked to death in Mai-Kadra (May Cadera) town in the southwest of Ethiopia's Tigray Region on the night of 9 November,\" the rights group said in a report.
Amnesty said it had \"digitally verified gruesome photographs and videos of bodies strewn across the town or being carried away on stretchers.\"
The dead \"had gaping wounds that appear to have been inflicted by sharp weapons such as knives and machetes,\" Amnesty said, citing witness accounts.
Witnesses said the attack was carried out by TPLF-aligned forces after a defeat at the hands of the Ethiopian military, though Amnesty said it \"has not been able to confirm who was responsible for the killings\".
It nonetheless called on TPLF commanders and officials to \"make clear to their forces and their supporters that deliberate attacks on civilians are absolutely prohibited and constitute war crimes\".
Abiy ordered military operations in Tigray on November 4, saying they were prompted by a TPLF attack on federal military camps -- a claim the party denies.
The region has been under a communications blackout ever since, making it difficult to verify competing claims on the ground.
Abiy said Thursday his army had made major gains in western Tigray.
Thousands of Ethiopians have fled across the border into neighboring Sudan, and the UN is sounding the alarm about a humanitarian crisis in Tigray.
The President thanked all religious communities in South Africa for their support in the national effort to combat the coronavirus pandemic; saying the restrictions on public worship have been difficult, but have greatly assisted in preventing the spread of COVID-19.
Not Approved
The main opposition candidate of Niger Republic, Hama Amadou, will not be in the upcoming December presidential race as his candidacy bid was rejected on Friday by the Constitutional Court. Falling one place short of the presidency in the 2016 election to current President Mahamadou Issoufou, the 70-year-old Amadou, twice prime minister, was sentenced in 2017 to one year in prison for baby trafficking — a case he has always maintained was a political attack.
The Constitutional Court, has, however, validated 30 presidential candidates — including Mohamed Bazoum, 60 years old, of the Niger Party for Democracy and Socialism (PNDS).
Political Atmosphere
Both the government and the opposition expressed their intentions a year ago to calm the tense political climate within the country, but it appears that a month and a half before the December 27th election day, little has been carried out. The Niger Republic is one of the countries in the Sahara-Sahel region of the African continent that is currently facing the presence of jihadists and armed bandits wreaking havoc on six of its seven borders.
RIO GRANDE CITY — It was a strange sight in Starr County: More than 70 vehicles, decked out with Trump 2020 flags, parading 13 miles along the Texas-Mexico border from Roma to Rio Grande City. Even Roel Reyes, who flew an “All Aboard the Trump Train” flag from the back of his Harley Davidson, was surprised to have so much […]
Ghanaians poured praise on their former leader Jerry Rawlings who died on Thursday. Many eulogized him as a patriot and a democrat.
President Nana Akufo-Addo ordered flags around the country to fly at half-mast, to mark seven days of national mourning from Friday.
It is with great sadness that I learnt of the passing of former president Jerry Rawlings of Ghana. Africa has lost a stalwart of Pan-Africanism and a charismatic continental statesman. My sincere condolences to his family, the people and the government of #Ghana
— Moussa Faki Mahamat (@AUC_MoussaFaki) November 12, 2020
Announcement of the death of former President Rawlings pic.twitter.com/7ext0fp4sd
— Nana Akufo-Addo (@NAkufoAddo) November 12, 2020
Watch our report:
Toshao of Kwebanna Paul Pierre yesterday said that the community hasn’t recorded a single coronavirus disease (COVID-19) case during the past few days noting that this is largely due to the lockdown that was imposed on the community more than two weeks ago.
The article No new COVID-19 cases reported at Kwebanna in recent days – toshao appeared first on Stabroek News.